Special Circumstance Information

Notre Dame College acknowledges that a student's ability to pay for college may be impacted by circumstances that cannot be reported on the FAFSA, or by situations that occur after the FAFSA has been filed.

The Special Circumstance form allows you to share information with the Financial Aid Office that you feel might affect your ability to cover your educational costs.

Review the form and select the circumstance that fits your situation.  The College will review your appeal and determine if any adjustments can be made to your financial aid award.  You must submit all documentation indicated in the column on the right along with the signed form and personal statement.  (A parent signature is required for dependent students.)  

All items (except "Other") require signed copies of all relevant federal tax returns.  Missing documentation may delay processing of your appeal.  You will be notified of the results of your appeal via NDC e-mail.

Additional Funding Sources

Additional options to assist you in covering your college costs include:

  • Federal PLUS Loan:  PLUS loans are low-interest educational loans that allow parents to fund the cost of their student's education.  A parent is eligible to borrow up to 100% of the estimated cost of their student's expenses, including tuition, room and board, books, transportation and additional expenses, minus any other financial aid awarded to the student.   The first step is to request a PLUS Loan at the Department of Education’s website: studentloans.gov. A student whose parent is denied a federal PLUS Loan for credit reasons is eligible for additional unsubsidized federal Direct Loan funds.  The amount varies based on the student’s grade level ($4,000 to $5,000 per year).

  • Alternative (private) student loans:  Many banking institutions provide educational loans outside of the federal loan programs. These loans are referred to as PRIVATE or  ALTERNATIVE LOANS. Lenders provide these loans at low interest rates to credit-worthy borrowers.  In general, you may borrow funds equal to the cost of education minus any financial aid offered through the school. A credit-worthy borrower or co-signer is needed.  (The co-signer need not be a parent.)  

  • HFLA loan:  HFLA of Northeast Ohio was established in 1904 to help individuals in Northeast Ohio have access to interest free loans in times of need when conventional funds are not available to them.   This program awards interest free education loans—regardless of religion or ethnicity—to students who have a shortfall in funding their education. Education loans can also be used for both undergraduate programs and graduate programs.



October 15
11:30 AM
Monday October 15, 11:30am
Christ the King Chapel - Admin Bldg. 3rd Floor
E.g., 10/15/18
E.g., 10/15/18